Sunday 22 April 2012

My Favourite Food

Cakes...After all.


I use the word “favourite” too often. But this time I think I mean it when it comes to my favourite food, cake! Passion + Creativity * Deliciousness = A slice of HEAVEN!!!
I just love all kind of cakes.Cupcakes, sponge cakes, cheese cakes, swiss roll cakes, ice cream cakes... Hold on, is doughnut counted too?
I just cannot resist all those lovable and delicious cakes though I am on diet as I'm getting fatter! The type of cake that I like the most is German black forest cake(rich of dark chocolate frosting! ) and Italian tiramisu comes a close second :) Not to mention the Secret Recipe's American brownie!

Besides that, I love decorating cakes too! I always admire those incredible pastry chefs who can bake beautiful cakes. However, I feel guilty when I am about to eat a really nicely decorated cake.I feel as though I'm eating someones artwork!

Tea time people! Here's a recipe of baking a tiramisu cake. Hope you will enjoy it!


Tiramisu

(Source: Cook’s Illustrated November & December 2007 issue)
1-1/2 Tablespoons instant espresso granules9 tablespoons dark rum [I substituted Kahlua and cut the amount down to 4-1/2 tablespoons]6 large egg yolks2/3 cup sugar1/4 teaspoon table salt1-1/2 pounds mascarpone3/4 cup cold heavy cream14 ounces (42 to 60, depending on size) dried ladyfingers (savoiardi)3-1/2 Tablespoons cocoa, preferably Dutch-processed1/4 cup grated semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (optional) [I omitted this]
2-1/2 cups strong brewed coffee, room temperature

1. Stir coffee, espresso, and 5 tablespoons rum [2-1/2 tablespoons Kahlua] in a wide bowl or baking dish until espresso dissolves; set aside.
2. In bowl of standing mixer fitted with whisk attachment, beat yolks at low speed until just combined. Add sugar and salt and beat at medium-high speed until pale yellow, 1-1/2 to 2 minutes, scraping down bowl with rubber spatula once or twice. Add remaining 4 tablespoons rum . Add mascarpone and beat . Transfer mixture to large bowl and set aside.
3. Beat cream at medium speed until frothy, 1 to 1-1/2 minutes..Using rubber spatula, fold one-third of whipped cream into mascarpone mixture to lighten.
4. Working one at a time, drop half of ladyfingers into coffee mixture, roll, remove and transfer to 13 by 9-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Arrange soaked cookies in single layer in baking dish.
5. Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers. Place 2 tablespoons cocoa in fine-mesh strainer and dust cocoa over mascarpone.
6. Wipe edges of dish with dry paper towel. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 6 to 24 hours. Sprnkle with grated chocolate, if using; cut into pieces and serve chilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment